Application Engineer - Search, Learning & Intelligence
rea.ch is looking for an experienced application engineer in search, learning, & intelligence (SLI) to help build features that make rea.ch smarter the more people use it.
Our goal is to help users feel less overwhelmed by rea.ch information avalanche and give them superpowers to find fast answers - whether from their coworkers, search, or bots.
The work will span many disciplines: search & information retrieval, recommendation systems, natural language processing, analytics, and machine learning.
A great candidate will have prior experience in any of these fields and feel comfortable building the server-side of rea.ch using NLP and ML oriented software languages (like Python or R), Kafka, Solr, Elasticsearch, Redis or Spark.
This position is based in Salvador area (Brazil) and reports to our engineering manager.
If you were to join rea.ch, here are the kinds of things you would do over the course of a typical week:
- Analyze our data pipelines, find opportunities to increase efficiency and reliability, and implement them.
- Analyze our message corpus to come up with possible solutions for a quality problem, and experiment with a new algorithm.
- Ship new features that add a layer of intelligence for our user base.
- Discuss the most efficient way to implement a machine learning model at scale, draft a proposal describing the service, circulate it within the engineering organization, and then make it happen.
- Provide support to our operations staff in troubleshooting and addressing a production issue.
Here are things that we consider critical to being a Application Engineer in SLI:
- You've been building applications professionally for 4+ years and can point to things you’ve worked on.
- You have an excellent knowledge of functional or imperative programming languages -- e.g., PHP, Python, Ruby, Go, C, or Java (used without frameworks).
- You have a generalist skillset spanning infrastructure to front-end development.
- You have curiosity about how things work.
- You can jump into situations with few guardrails and make things better.
- You are a strong communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to designers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you.
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval.
- When things break -- and they will -- you are eager and able to help fix things.
- You are someone that others enjoy working with due to your technical competence and positive attitude.
Here are a few extra things that would lift you up a couple of notches in our eyes:
- A solid grasp of statistics and probabilistic models (regression, experiment design, Bayesian methods).
- Experience with Solr, Elasticsearch, Kafka, Redis, Scala, Hadoop, or Spark.
- Experience with text mining/parsing, classification, ML, or neural networks.
- Experience with conflict-free replicated data and distributed node.
- Prior experience with or knowledge of large scale, high volume systems.
- Experience in a startup environment.
What is rea.ch and what is like working with us?
rea.ch is a personal management and collaboration app for professionals and companies based on the natural flow of communication. We are on a mission to build and maintain a unique product to make working life simpler, more pleasant and more productive.
rea.ch is an equal opportunity employer and a fun place to work. We believe everyone deserves to work in a welcoming, respectful, and empathetic culture. We live by our values and hire accordingly. We're excited about diversity and inclusivity - we welcome talented teammates from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences.
We are just starting our adventure with the purpose to empower people to stay ahead in life and in business. We want to transform the way people work and become the premier platform of communication for professionals. Come do the best work of your life here at rea.ch.
HOW TO APPLY
reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org with a résumé and cover letter.